Friday, July 1, 2016

Friday Favorites: Food for the 4th!



Today is Friday!! We have made it through another long, hot week and this is one of my favorite weekends of summer. I remember it being the height of summer when I was a kid. July the 4th was when school seemed so far away, and there was still so much left of summer to look forward to!



I have apparently turned into the designated potato salad maker for whenever we have a cookout with friends. Everyone raves about this potato salad and I have never seen it exactly this way, so I will share my version, Ths is at least 3 generations old. I think the simplicity and use of really good ingredients, particularly mayonnaise,  and the fresh parsley is what makes it.

"Halfpenny" Potato Salad

5 lb red potatoes, peeled.
1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
3-4 stocks of celery including leaves, finely chopped
Approximately 1 cup of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped, plus more for garnish

Dressing

1 cup of Hellman's mayonnaise
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp celery salt
salt & pepper

Boil potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain, cool, and break up into small pieces. Add chopped onion, celery and parsley. Pour dressing over and mix thoroughly. Garnish with more parsley and celery salt. Serve chilled with your cookout feast.

Right now I am really obsessed with all of the wonderful fresh fruits in season. I had the most delicious plums and nectarines this week, and I would love to try grilling them and adding as a topping for vanilla ice cream...bonus if it's homemade



Also, the other day in Trader Joe's I was persuaded to buy this drink and I am now obsessed with it! It is absolutely delicious and tastes like summer in a bottle! It would also be really good with a little bit of sparkling water, or vodka as a refreshing summer cocktail. Bonus if you make them into popsicles ;)






Happy 4th of July!


No comments:

Post a Comment